My grandfather is an architect by trade.
This has resulted in a deep appreciation for all things architecture and design. It shouldn’t be any surprise in saying this that the Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa holds a special place in my heart.
As a part of my day job, we were invited to view Suite 808; a 90-day room installation as a part of the #StayHuman Project.
The Stay Human Project is a reminder of our humanity in an instant-gratification-filled world.
Each room, in the 20 participating properties, is specifically designed in relation to the location of the property – the featured mural in the Kimpton Seafire property features local flora and fauna amongst other features.
The intention is to ‘forge meaningful ties‘ with other guests who have experienced the room before you and to pass on the energy and expression of the Stay Human Project to those you meet during and after your holiday experience.
On entering Room 808, blink twice and remind yourself you are not in a dream. This fuschia-filled fantasy is backlit by a neon sign reminding you to ‘Stay Human.’
Room 808 is intended to be a “surprise and delight”. This Kimpton-coined moniker can be best summed up by the feeling in your belly on Christmas morning, or when you hear a baby laugh. It is a reminder of all things good in the world that have no expectation of ever receiving anything in return.
You are greeted with a sign pointed to a few cards asking you to “Read Me.”
These are the features of Room 808, and take your time because there’s plenty.
- Soca is the soundtrack of Room 808, the Caribbean and your staycation here at the Kimpton Seafire. Your trip is more than a visit it is a stay, and you’ll never, ever want to leave.
- You are Alice staring through the looking-glass and guess what? There are chocolate cigars. An ode to the Cayman Islands proximity and relations with Cuba, this handcrafted dessert is not to be missed.
- The Kimpton Seafire is all about sharing the love and sharing the culture of the Cayman Islands. If you haven’t experienced Pirates Week, the Cayman Islands National Festival – they want to transport you there via a cocktail. Swagger on down to Ave restaurant for your beverage and don’t forget – good fortune should be shared. There are gold coins to be shared with those you meet on your travels so they too can taste the Caribbean.
- A can’t-miss feature of the room is the Polaroid Camera fully stocked for your memory making with a special caveat. Located above the kitchenette is a Cayman-Islands-shaped corkboard. Take a picture, leave a picture. Let the people coming behind you know where to go and what to see.
- Looking for some light reading? The Kimpton Seafire is a pet-friendly hotel and is a supporter of the Cayman Islands Humane Society. Located next to your bedside table is a gently-used book, and a complimentary bookmark by local artist Dready, purchased from the Humane Society. All proceeds from the purchase support the charity’s initiatives in the Cayman Islands.
There are countless features of the room, I wouldn’t want to give it all away in advance of your visit – but – there’s one feature that can’t be missed.
This work of art designed by Carlos Garcia spans the entirety of the outside balcony wall. This mesmerizing artwork takes you from the outdoors of the Caribbean to the galaxies of space.
This instagrammable installation is one of a kind.
Take the time to bask in the glow, specifically at night – you may see stars.
The #StayHumanProject is a limited-time experience that should not be missed.
If you’re looking for a reminder of all things good in the world, and an excuse to spread your wings – a visit to Room 808 at the Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa is just what the doctor ordered.
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to #StayHuman.